Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Montana Primary Elections

I decided to compare the people who were running for office in my district and one other district here in Great Falls.  Its took me about 20 minuets to compare these people just from doing a little research on the internet.  I found out who would be the best for the job, so please before you vote this year do your research and vote for the person most qualified.  If you would like me to blog about your district just let me know and I would be happy to do so.


HOUSE DISTRICTS:
18: Jesse O'Hara*, R;
19: Mike Milburn*, R
20: Jack Allen, R; Steve Fitzpatrick, R; Lee Anne Gills, D; Donna Zook, D
21: Eric J. Bakly, R; Patrick Flaherty, R; Jean Price, D; Dale Crosby, D;
22: Jonathan D. Martin, C; Craig Such, R; Trudi Schmidt, D
23: Carlie Boland*, D; Jerald L. Patterson, R
24: Brian Hoven*, R; Gary Lucero, D
25: Cleve J. Loney, R; Rick Tryon, R; Lindsay Love, D; Rod Lukasik, D
26: Robert "Bob" Mehloff*, D; Lola Sheldon Galloway, R
SENATE DISTRICTS
11: Jim Whitaker, R; Anders Blewett, D
12: Mitch Tropila*, D
13: Edward Buttrey, R; Kathleen Galvin-Halcro, D


House District 20


I wanted to start with this district because I live in this district and thought about running myself.  Looking at the competition I am glad I decided to wait.  Deb Kottel holds the seat now and one thing that always bothered me about her is she doesn't live in the district.  I never had her stop by the house and campaign, it just didn't seem like she was in touch with the voters in her district and the whole point of voting for representatives is that they will represent what the people in the district want.
So first off I wanted to make sure that all of the candidates live in the district.  There are three that live in the district, Steve Fitzpatrick, R, Lee Anne Gills, D, and Jack Allen, R.   Donna Zook, D owns three or four lots in fox farm which is generally the richer part of Great Falls, and District 20 is more middle class, so immediately I think Donna would be out of touch with the people in HD 20.  Although she was the first one to email me back asking for the address to this blog.
Out of the three that actually live in the district I wanted to find out that they did before deciding to run for office.  
 Steve Fitzpatrick works for Smith, Walsh, Clarke & Gregoire, he is a lawyer and I don't know about you but I don't trust lawyers but don't let a few bad experiences sway your vote against the lawyer.  I have already had Steve stop by the house campaigning, to bad I was gone because I would have liked to talk to him.  Also I would have liked to see if it was actually him campaigning or just someone who works for him.  Steve looks to be the youngest of the candidates which from first look would say lack of experience.  However I am only 25 and I still feel I could do a stand up job in public office.  This being said the kicker for me is he is a lawyer and lawyers of course know the law and some use their knowledge of these laws to push unnecessary laws through.  Because of this and knowing what I do about the other two clients I cannot see Steven making through the primaries.
Jack Allen works for the Great Falls Police Department and from what I can see is a pretty stand up guy.  Of course anyone who would put their lives on the line everyday to help a neighbor is a pretty amazing person anyways.  Also  I have seen many signs for Allen and had him stop by the house, he was very friendly, I invited him in and we talked for about 20 minuets.  I am really impressed with how he has campaigned this year.  You can check out his website at www.jackallen.net for more info.
Lee Anne Gills has not been by the house yet and have not even seen any of her signs out yet which doesn't impress me.  However Lee Anne works for the MSU-College of Tech so not only does she live in the district but she works there also.  She works as an administrator in the Arts and Science department which has really grown in the last few years.  I got my degrees from the COT's Arts and Science department and I am amazed at how much it has grown since I started.  Being around a school all day she must see how important schooling is for our youth and probably has some good ideas of how to fix our education problems.   
I am thinking that Jack Allen, R and Lee Anne Gills, D will make it through primaries because they are both very qualified, live, and work in the district.  What it comes down to I think will be campaigning, Allen has been getting his signs out in neighborhoods already while Gills is a little behind.
 Looking at the three candidates they are all good options, I am a member of the Whig party and usually if I have this close of a race I will generally vote Republican over Democrat.  Also since Jack has gotten out and really campaigned hard so far I am going to have to go with Jack Allen to win House District 20. 

 House District 21

Ok this one was both an easy choice and a hard one.  Easy because from what I can tell Jean Price, D is really the only candidate that lives in the district.  Patrick Flaherty, R and Dale Crosby, D live right on the edge.  Eric Bakly, R does not even live close to the district.  
The hard part with these candidates is there isn't much more info on these people.  I found Patrick works at a law firm, Jean Price is an artist,  Eric Bakly is a CNA at Benifits, and Dale Crosby runs A to Z lock and key and dropped out of school before earning a high school degree
I automatically ruled out Dale Crosby because I am dyslexic and I still worked hard to graduate high school and get a college degree.  Today's day in age if you dropped out and didn't at least get your GED then that is just laziness, which would not make a good politician.  Eric Bakly is a CNA which requires a few weekend classes to get certified for if he had real ambition and heart he would have probably went to college and got at least his nursing degree, because who really wants to clean up puke and clean sheets all day.  Patrick Flaherty again is a lawyer and we all know how hesitanat I am about voting for lawyers.  Jean Price is an artist, I have not seen any of her work yet but hopefully she is creative.  I like Jean because I can see her artistic side coming up with creative solutions to fix up that part of town.  Lets face it HD21 is the lower end of Great Falls and we need creative ideas on how to fix up the neighborhoods and raise the property values in that area.  I hope she is up to the challenge.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment