Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Legalize It!

I was going to start posting today about the primary elections coming up but decided to put that off for a while to talk about Marijuana.  Let me begin by saying personally I have never smoked marijuana, I grew up in a small town and was not around it until I went to college and by that time I was just growing out of my experimenting stage.  With that being said I am totally for legalizing the use of marijuana.  We can put laws on it that says you can only smoke it on your own private property so it will not effect others, we could tax it for extra income, and just think of the amount of college students we would get transferring to Montana just for the fact they can smoke.  Along with college students think of the tourism benefits, I mean really who goes to Amsterdam for the great  culture.  No mostly people go to Amsterdam cause they can smoke weed there.  I really don't see why we haven't done this yet, the one big concern with smoking marijuana is impaired driving.  Well last time I checked we have DUI's for that sort of thing.  After doing some research on-line about the dangers of marijuana, it seems to me to be a smoke form of alcohol, the only difference is beer is a downer while marijuana is and upper.  Personally I would rather have a bunch of happy pot heads in Montana than a lot of old angry drunks.  I would really like to hear from some of our Senators and Representatives on this issue, why is it that we are not taking advantage to the extra income that this would bring in, especially since law enforcement can't control the use anyways.  I am not sure if I am just on crazy pills here or not but why don't the people we elect to do the best thing for our state not act and start doing their jobs?  Is it the whole reelection thing, I know that once you become a politician it is hardwired in your brain to think of being reelected for another term.  I think that is why people don't take risks anymore, they are so afraid of failing, but that is how we learn.  You can't always go with the sure plan, every once and a while you have to gamble, it may work out and it may not.  Either way you will stand out as a person who has the interests of their state, not themselves, in mind.  That builds trust and if people trust you are doing the right thing to benefit the state, then it doesn't matter how many time you fail you will get reelected.

1 comment:

  1. I must say Mr. Bowser, well written. I am like you never tried it never wanted to, but you are right, why not bring in the extra income, why keep paying out all the money to our law enforcement agencies to try to prevent the use of it, save money and make money. That sounds like one heck of an idea to me!

    Charles

    ReplyDelete